We’ve all heard that asbestos is bad for us, and that it’s a health hazard, but how many of us actually know what it does? What kind of health-related issues can it cause, and why is asbestos removal in Sydney so important? Well, to understand that, you’ll first need to understand what asbestos is. Asbestos refers to a set of six naturally occurring silicate minerals, all of them sharing one important characteristic; they’re composed of reliably long fibrous crystals. This formation gives them all some very useful properties when used in construction, such as high quality soundproofing and a natural resistance to many forms of environmental damage, including fire, chemical, and electrical sources.
One of the main traits of asbestos is the biggest cause of problems, though. The long, fibrous crystals that compose these materials are incredibly light, more than able to float around in the air. Breathing these fibres is anything but good for the human body, and long term exposure to airborne asbestos fibres has been proven to cause, or at least heavily contribute, to a number of serious illnesses, including a couple different types of lung cancer. And it doesn’t take much persuasion for these fibres to become airborne. Relatively strong air flows over older asbestos-containing materials, abrasions, even dropping something heavy on the floor can be enough to shake fibres loose.
At this point we know it’s dangerous, and as the materials age and break down, it’s getting easier and easier for the fibres to become airborne. So, why did they use so much of it if it’s bad for us? The truth is, they didn’t know. Medical science being what it was in the past few centuries, no one had any idea that long term exposure to these fibres was a problem. Heck, most of them didn’t even comprehend what “long term exposure” even meant. Asbestos was widely used due to it’s fantastic insulating properties, which sadly leaves us with a responsibility to perform proper asbestos removal in Sydney.
On the plus side, asbestos removal in Sydney isn’t nearly as big of a headache as you’d think. Simply contact an accredited inspection or removal company, and they’ll happily walk you through the process. With them on your side, the safe and proper removal of this hazardous material is only a matter of time, and it takes less than you’d probably expect. In a matter of days, you’ll be free to do whatever you want with your old properties, completely safe from any harmful exposure.